Monday, April 12, 2010

From White to Black













As Jack Russell enthusiasts started to acquire some different "colored" terriers the JRTCA and JRTCC began offering unsanctioned colored terrier classes at trials. This was my first introduction to the world of working terriers beyond the Jack Russell and I have always been fascinated by the variety of temperaments and working styles of these dogs. I make a point to watch as many classes as I can and one breed in particular has always stood out to me, the Patterdale Terrier. These are a very unusual breed in North America and not well known but they are a lovely little dog that is similar in appearance to a Jack Russell, except in black or chocolate, and their temperament is one of a high drive that without being hyperactive or over the top. After watching a dog that belonged to a good friend of mine from Colorado - who never failed to catch my eye in the show ring and has the most wonderful, biddable, temperament - I finally asked Mike to let me know when he had another litter.
Well, almost a year later Mike contacted me to say he had a surprise, but much wanted, litter of Patterdale puppies and ask if I was still interested. Although I had a litter of my own at the time I knew this was an opportunity not to be missed so I told him to pick me out a puppy that would suit our home. Mike recommended I consider a boy as we already had so many girls and, well, they call them *female dogs* for a reason. Male dogs have many wonderful qualities that are hard to fully appreciate until you live with a house full of females, so while this was going to be a bit of an adjustment for everyone here I agreed to take one of the two tan and white boys.

Just over 4 weeks later, a 12 hour plane ride, and a 7 hour drive, Patton arrived at my doorstep. He is everything I could have hoped for and more. Bold, confident, and outgoing, his long adventure form Colorado to Saskatoon did not seem to have taken anything out of him. He played with every dog he met at my friend's house and then came home to meet his new "family" and was equally as agreeable here. I just adore his easy going nature, but he is not by any means complacent. He has mastered the routes onto the couch that should be well out of his reach and will climb on, or burrow into, anything he thinks could be of interest. He has fit right into the Inseguire pack and managed to convince me that he needed to sleep in the bed his first night too. I look forward to many more years and many more adventures with this new terrier but for now he will just be my snuggle buddy and curl up in my arms when he is not off exploring.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment